Monday, January 9, 2012

SI Training

This last week I went all the way down to Visalia. I know the long 45 min drive was SO LONG. (hope you sense the sarcasm) I went because I had training there for Student International. It was a new hire training and I was so blessed by it. I got to meet some amazing people but also hear the heart from those who are going out to the field soon and see how supported we are by the staff and board members. 

For those who don't know about Student International (SI), their heart is to bring students and the poor together cross-culturally to encounter God, share the good news, disciple and serve others in occupational ministries.  There are sites in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Fiji, Guatemala and Nicaragua, with the office being in Visalia.  

I had the honor of being among 15 other people who just got to the field few months ago or will be in the field this year. The range was from the wise married couples, to young married couples with the singles ranging in different ages. I got to hangout with 4 single gals in an amazing house that we had to ourselves. They were from all over the country and one was already in D.R. (She came just for the training) I also got to hangout with my future roommate, future co-work and my future boss. I got to meet the staff, which some of them I have worked with since I have gone on two mission trip with them. And I got to meet some if not most of the board members. 

On the first day of training we went around the room and shared how God had called us to the mission field and some of the journey that it took for us to get here. It was so ENCOURAGING to hear the stories, the hearts of those God has called to go out with SI. It was also great to see how God has taken ordinary people to go and do an extraordinary work for him. Also for me it was great to meet people who are in the same mindset as me and who are in the same process too. Then we were able to hear from the staff and the board members too and how God called them to be apart of SI from the states. 

On the second day, we had the boring stuff or for the nerd in me, the fun stuff. We talked about HR and other goodies. Then we went to one of the board members house for lunch. We were able to sit outside and enjoy the nice sunshine and good food and continue to build friendships. We got to hear from Jeff who is the field director in Costa Rica ( my future boss) and the field director from DR Brian. They were able to encourage us and we got to ask some questions and just get there perspectives. From there we (the girls and I) were taken to dinner by a board member and got to hangout with his wife and hear their story. 

On the last day, we went on an excursion to Hume Lake and the redwoods! Since we have people from all over the world, SI wanted to show them some of California's beauty. So we took off to head to the redwoods. For me I have been there many times before, but it was refreshing to go with folks who have never been there. To see how excited they were to see General Grant (also known as the Nation's Christmas Tree. Just a fun fact) and the beauty that is there.

(some of the gals) 

 

(Costa Rica Team) 

(DR team)
(As you can see there was no snow)

 Then we went to Hume Lake! We went to Joshua and got to hear the heart behind the program and how they got to partner up with SI-DR. Then the went on a hike around the lake. 

(I think that is ice. So I guess that can count for snow. maybe?)


I took some time to relax and read a book. From there we went to have dinner and got commission to the field from the staff and board members. 

I had an amazing time being there. I have been feeling overwhelmed with so many things and it was nice to sit and focus on SI and the calling God has laid on my heart. To talk to other people who have a heart and desire for other Latin America countries. To get different ideas on fundraising and hear their stories. To see God's artwork and take time to rest.

There are so much more that I want to say but I will save that for a different blog post. I will be updating this more often to keep you inform. I want you (whoever reads this) to feel apart as though you are apart of my journey to Costa Rica. The before process and the after process too. 
Till then, Adios!

2 comments: